Beating Insomnia: 5 tips for finding that elusive shut-eye offers practical tips for sleep without medications. Some of these tips seem like common sense, but you’d be amazed at how many of us lose track of even the obvious sometimes.
The article offers the following tips to get some sleep. You can read them in more detail by clicking on the above link.
1. Eat Properly. We aren’t just talking about eating right and skipping the caffeine here. Avoid drinking alcohol, smoking a cigarette, or eating a late night snack.
2. Exercise and Stay Active. Do you think your great-grandfather who worked on his farm all day had trouble sleeping? No way! Part of our sleep problems today are caused by our sedentary lives. Just don’t exercise right before you go to bed. That can keep you awake.
3. Keep Your Room Conducive to Sleep. Keep the room cool, dark, and quiet. Ditch the TV, radio, and other distractions that can keep you awake.
4. Take a Hot Shower or Bath. This helps you relax and wind down.
5. Clear Your Mind. Easier said than done, but with practice you can learn to clear your mind and not take your active mind to bed with you.
Another thing that can help you relax and sleep well is to have a comfortable bed. Two of the beds that are becoming more popular for their ability to induce comfortable sleep are the air bed and the natural latex mattress. Air beds and latex mattresses do wonders for those who cannot get comfortable when they hit the sack.